Entrepreneur Ideas for All
Consultant: One of the best business ideas for both men and women is to become a consultant. This is however possible only if you are proficient in some skills such as marketing, advertising, public relations, etc. Also, for being a consultant, one requires lots of contacts and networking skills. So keep these prerequisites of the job in mind before taking up this venture.
Tutor: If you love children and are master in any of the subjects taught at school, then you may contact a school or a home school group at the local level to check if they have a requirement for tutors. Tutoring is in fact one of the best businesses for women, considering that it leaves enough time for them to manage both family and work simultaneously. You can consider starting your own tuition classes from home. If you are good at painting, craft-making, singing or dancing, you can take hobby classes for the same as well.
Secretary: Many small businesses need secretarial services, yet they do not have the required funds to hire a professional through an agency. If you have computer skills, and the necessary equipment such as a computer and a printer, you can readily take up such assignments and work from home itself. You would need good communication and organizational skills to become successful in such a business.
Writer: If you have a command over the English language and love to read and write, you can consider becoming a freelance writer for various online publications, websites and local dailies. You may also become a blogger, which by the way has become a multimillion business nowadays.
Caterer: Another small business idea which requires a minuscule investment is to offer one’s food catering services. If you are someone who loves to cook and bake, you can start your own catering business, by supplying food for parties, festivals, get together, dinners and even office meetings.
Event planning is one business which anyone can start, irrespective of their qualifications. Whether it is weddings, office meetings or seminars, there is always a need for event planners who can ensure that they are organized effectively and efficiently. To become a successful event planner, one needs to have good networking, communication and organizational skills. Ability to pay attention to detail and handle any crisis which may arise, are the other two main requirements of this business.
Ideas for College Students
eBay Seller: Since majority of college students are Internet savvy these days, a useful idea for them would be to become an eBay seller. They can purchase cheap goods from the Internet, garage sales or second hand shops, pack them well and then sell on the Internet with a profit.
Baby/Pet Sitter: Another innovative business idea for college students is to become a baby or a pet sitter. There is a lot of scope to earn in this profession considering these days both the husband and wife work long hours.
Cleaner: Most students do not keep their rooms or dorms clean. So a good way to earn money is to start a business which provides dorm cleaning services to other students. A student can offer services such as cleaning and organizing the room, taking out trash, making the bed and re-stocking the refrigerator. Or alternately, students can offer their cleaning services to households and provide services like carpet and window cleaning.
These are some business ideas which anybody can make use of. These days, it’s not just adults, but little children too who like to start earning money as early as possible. Some good business ideas for kids are to offer their gardening services, start their own toy rental library, and to provide dog washing services. In the end, it can be said that anyone can become an entrepreneur, whether young or old, male or female, provided they have the skills, confidence and attitude to carry on a business. A sure shot successful recipe for a business is hard work, skills, self-assurance and the ability to face any setbacks that may arise.
Whether it’s your company’s first team building event or you’ve done it a gazillion times, there are a lot of reasons for taking time to choose the right facilitators for your next team building session. With the start-up ones and the more established companies all offering a fun-filled and meaningful company outing, you may start to wonder which one is right for you. When looking for a company, here are some tips to help you decide:
1. Ask around. People always like to share stories about how they became good friends with people from other departments after they teamed up for a particularly fun activity during a company outing. Others would swear they are never going to any team building activity again after they almost lost a limb rock climbing to “push their boundaries”. Some may not remember how their last team building went – which should say a lot. It must have been so completely boring they slept through most of it or so completely shameful they would rather forget. There is nothing like firsthand information to set you on the right direction in finding the right company for your team event.
2. Observe. You can pretty much tell from your first call or your first meeting if the company is suited to your needs. If the person receiving your inquiry sounds bored and uninterested, that is a red flag right there. Team building companies are in the business of igniting changes in human behavior, they should be genuinely interested in people and responsive to your needs.
3. It should be about YOUR people. Your company decided you needed a team building event. That means you have specific requirements you want addressed. If a training company puts together a menu of pre-packaged activities for you to choose from, run away fast. A professional training company will always ask first what specific concerns you have that you wanted addressed or goals that you want to achieve during the activity. From your specific requirements, they should be able to design a unique program that is hand-crafted for your company.
4. They should know from whence they speak. There are a lot of clichés in team building. Companies toss around words like “paradigm shift” and “core competency”. Sometimes it becomes hard to distinguish between the real deal and a bunch of cheerleaders out to make a quick buck organizing a series of games for sun-starved, desk-huggers. However, listen longer and ask questions. Pretty soon the jargon will run out and you will be left with either a deer in the headlights or someone who is actively taking notes and asking questions in return. A professional team building company will take the time for a needs assessment in order to prepare the best program for your group.
5. Takeaways and follow through. Team building is an investment in your company’s future and well-being but it only becomes an investment if the learning and positive attitudes you acquire are translated into the real-life workplace environment. A reputable team building company includes “takeaways” filled with insights to provide a connection between the workshop and the workplace. Instead of dashing off to the airport, a good facilitator will take the time to make sure your needs are fully met.
When you have decided which team building company you will entrust with handling your next team building event, it is important to be pro-active and not leave everything to the facilitators. Remember to provide input and help steer the direction of the program to ensure that your group gets the most out of your investment.
The success of any organization depends on how well the teams work together. The more they work in sync with each other, the more effective and efficient the organization will be. Hence, it is no wonder that most organization are trying to promote team building! But why team building? Like the five fingers on your hand, each member of the team is different. They come from various ethnic backgrounds, cultures and have varied talents. If left unattended to, they will work independently, each with their own objectives. This will lead to a lot of chaos and confusion. Hence, it is important to turn these differences into benefits by tapping each of their potentials and channelizing them to suit the organizational requirements.
To create and develop an effective team which is also efficient is a challenging task. Though most of them try to accomplish this, they fall flat because they tend to miss out on a few important details. Hence, it is very important to keep a few points in mind while trying to work on building a team. In this article, we shall discuss a few tips that will help you build an effective team. The first step towards building a strong team is effective communication of team goals. Ensure that each team member is made well aware of the team objective and goals. This will ensure that the entire team will work towards achieving a common objective.
It is important to explain each member the role they are going to play in helping the team be successful. This becomes very important if more than one person is aiming for a particular role. In those circumstances, you can divide the role amongst them and ensure that their roles and responsibilities do not overlap. Giving each one a free hand in their domain will ensure that your team tastes success very fast. Assess the strength and weakness of every team member before offering them a role to play. This is very crucial if you want everyone to put their best foot forward and deliver unparalleled solutions. The next important aspect to facilitate a great team building process is to involve the entire team in while making important decisions. This will make them feel important and more responsible towards their roles. Brainstorming as a team will also throw up better ideas and solutions. Another best part is that you can get a buy-in for the idea from the entire team which will help increase their ownership towards the project.
One more very important aspect of building a strong team is ensuring that all the team members are kept well informed of the changes. Unexpected surprises and shocks can spring up a lot more tension and stress than what you imagined. Last but not the least, it is important to take the team out on a regular basis and ensure that the team bonds even outside office. This will help them understand their peers and colleagues better. It will also bring up new facets in a person that most of them are unaware of. Building an effective team is challenging but not impossible. Keeping the tips mentioned above will help you ease the process to a great extent. The rewards at the end of it are truly worth your time and patience.
More and more businesses are realising the benefits of incorporating teams into their work place. These team building tips are designed to help you to encourage your employees to work together and, most importantly, to feel like a valued member of the entire group.
When they feel like this, several benefits are obvious. First, it can help to lower employee turnover. Second, it can help to improve efficiency and productivity, which in turn increases profits for the company. Third, overall employee performance will improve greatly.
The following will help you to develop strong teams within your business.
1. Empower employees: One method to building a strong team is to provide employees with more empowerment. This helps employees to make better decisions about their own jobs and they take responsibility for their own job results. In doing so, they learn the importance of their work to the whole group.
2. Involve employees: When employees are involved in the decisions that affect their own jobs, they are more likely to be happy with the outcome. Many businesses are incorporating more opportunities for employees to be involved in such decisions. It does not take away from leadership, it just gives the employee more options.
3. Develop teams by incorporating team building: Team building is a number of activities or even special events that help to teach the group the best ways to interact with each other. It is a crucial component to teaching employees to work together better and to communicate more effectively with each other.
4. Team breaks and icebreakers: It can be an important part of breaking open the group that is not working well and improving the overall ability of individuals to work well together. Incorporate more team breaks, team training, or other aspects into the daily, weekly or quarterly plans for the company.
These team building tips can help you to build your business from the ground up. While many businesses are now employing these types of technicians on a more regular basis, others have been held back not realising the true benefits of building a strong team within the business. Use these tips to help to establish and then develop the groups of employees within your organisation. In doing so, you will strengthen your business and you may even see profits rise as people begin to work together in a more positive way.
There are plenty of team building tips out there but life at some companies is too hectic to incorporate them. These organizations spend a majority of their time solving problems and extinguishing client fires so they have little time for team building. What they do not realize is that a good number of the issues may have resulted from poor teamwork. By addressing the cause of the problem, they make life easier for clients and themselves.
Working as an effective team is critical for any company. The military recognizes the important of teamwork and spends much money to create it in its ranks. Many public and private companies have taken notice and make major efforts to develop more cohesive work teams, some spending millions of dollars on these endeavors. A business does not have to drop such a huge amount of cash to create effective teams.
In the broadest sense of the concept, employees who belong to a team have a sense of being part of something larger than their individual selves. A big part of this is understanding company mission and objectives. Each team member contributes to the success of the organization, which requires an understanding of how the company defines success. By setting clear goals and expectations, executive leadership provides employees with a common understanding of the purpose of the corporate team and where it should be headed.
In addition to understanding why the overall business team exists, workers must understand the purpose of the team to which they are assigned to accomplish a certain task. Leaders must define each focused work team they are trying to build. This requires putting each team in context and explaining why each employee is participating on a certain team. Each staff member should understand how the purpose of an individual team fits into the goals of the company.
Commitment is something that cannot be overlooked when discussing teams. Each team member should want to participate and should recognize the importance of the team mission. When commitment is secured, team members know that their work is valuable to both the organization and their own development. They should feel excited and challenged by the opportunity to be a part of the team. Recognition illustrates the importance of the role each person plays.
In order to be effective, each team must contain the appropriate people. Team members should feel that combined, they have the skills, knowledge, and capabilities required to perform the required tasks and meet the team goals. If this is not the case, the team should have access to the required resources and support.
To begin on the right foot, a new team should develop a charter that outlines its vision, mission, and strategies. Team building tips advocate empowerment by management, providing the team with the control necessary to accomplish the charter. Each member should understand the team process and how his or her role contributes to it. Through hard work, collaboration, and continuous communication, any team with a strong foundation can achieve its goals.
No one starts a small business wanting it to fail. But according various statistical sources, such as the Small Business Association (SBA), more than half of new small businesses will not make it past five years. So how can you avoid falling prey to this statistic? Here are the most essential five tips you should keep in mind to run a successful small business with longevity:
1. Do you know what your target market wants? If you can not answer this question, then you have a big problem. The first tip to running a successful business is becoming intimately familiar with the unique makeup, behaviors, and attitudes of your core customer-base. Thanks to the Internet, getting this information these days has become relatively easy and low-cost. You can ask your target market what they want via social media platforms or online surveys. You can also consult available market research data from government sources, research organizations, and other companies.
2. What do you do exactly? Tip two to running your business successfully involves clearly defining your niche. If you do not know what you do differently than the other businesses or websites competing for market share, then you can end up confusing your customers, confusing yourself, and dropping core competencies
3. Do you know who is working for you? Are you tapping into the potential of your employees? Tip number three for a successful business involves the active recognition that your employees are one of your biggest assets. I can not stress this enough. Your employees may work on the front lines with your customers; they may be involved day-to-day with your business’ equipment, supplies, and processes; they come, each one with his or her own unique background, knowledge, and experiences. Doing what you can to make your employees feel valued, helping them stay motivated, and actively asking them for feedback will positively affect the way you do business, leading to increased efficiency and higher revenues.
4. Who do you know? With the virtual explosion of the Internet, mobile technology, and social networking, these days there is a direct relationship between being connected to other businesses and professionals and running a successful operation. If you operate on an island, you are cutting yourself off from any number of lucrative business arrangements as well as vital business or industry-related information. A well-established reputation and network of businesses and professionals will also add value to your business.
5. Where’s the money going? My last tip to becoming a successful business is a pretty standard one: learn how to manage the money in your business, get tools to help you do it better, and if you have a hard time with this, then hire someone else to do it for you. Cash flow is the gas on which your business runs and the lack thereof has claimed the lives of many a small operation. You should have a basic awareness of your business’ accounting system, and be familiar with the overall meaning and key elements of the major financial reports, such as a cash flow statement, balance sheet, budget, and income statement.
Bottom line: if you want to become a successful small business owner, then take these five tips to heart. Without them, you will likely end up on the wrong side of the business failure rate.
With the prolific rise of Social Media and the many benefits it can have for a small business here are a few reminders of some simple guidelines you should follow to maximise this useful marketing tool.
The first thing to remember is that social media is a two-way interaction and companies cannot own the conversation anymore; companies simply cannot control the conversation anymore. If a customer has received a poor service there is nothing that can be done to prevent them posting about their experience on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or whichever medium they feel. Any attempt to manipulate or moderate the social world is normally greeted with a scathing response by it’s members. The best thing to do is to greet any criticism with a considered and honest response; if this means apologising then so be it! It is almost impossible to censor content on social media as people will simply go elsewhere to voice their opinions. Social media gives companies an ability to listen to customer issues and respond to them in timely fashion.
An area of social media that can be somewhat moderated is the output of your company and its employees. In recent years major corporations such as Virgin Atlantic have fallen victim to the social media bite-back; thirteen cabin crew members were dismissed after posting on a network that their airplanes were full of cockroaches. It is estimated that one in three employees are now using technology that is not sanctioned by their company; providing employees with clear guidelines on what they can and can not do is the most reasonable stance to take.
The final thing to remember is that if you encourage user generated content then there is a possibility this can backfire. If you are commenting on your company page or profile make sure you declare that you actually work for the company although not all companies abide by this code. Deceiving your contributors can often end very badly as companies such as Honda found out when they unveiled its new Crosstour car on it’s Facebook page and received an absolute panning.
Wondering how to start a small business? It can be quite challenging, and today’s economy isn’t necessarily conducive to running a small business, but with the right kind of attitude and business model it can be done. There are lots of different small business ideas floating around, and many of them rely on one of two things – physical businesses require a real world customer base, usually confined to local areas for a specific need, while online businesses need to attract customers in the first place, but are not restricted in the areas they can service. In this article, we’ll take a look at the key differences between these two types of business.
A physical small business is generally a very particular thing, but can be a good example of how to start a small business. They tend to be geared towards providing local citizens with some product or service that either is not provided by larger corporate businesses, or they do it with a higher level of service and product quality. Many small local businesses are supported by the city and its citizens, and therefore are more able to compete with large corporate businesses. However, they are somewhat limited in the areas they can provide service to, and therefore rely on a loyal customer base in order to keep sustained business going.
An online small business differs from this in that it often has no physical office – there might be a customer support center, shipping area, or other peripheral to the business itself, but many internet businesses exist entirely online. They can show you how to start a small business in the online community. This can greatly reduce their overall costs, as they might pay a small hosting fee rather than hundreds or thousands of dollars in monthly rent. They do not have the local support that a physical small business has, although they can more easily attract customers through search engine optimization and other online marketing techniques.
The most important thing to remember when figuring out how to start a small business is where your strengths and weaknesses lie. A physical business needs to quickly and effectively build a base of loyal customers, and then ensure that those customers keep coming back for more due to the high quality of the goods and services provided. An internet business needs to find ways to stand out in the growing number of online businesses, and to attract initial customers through the various methods of web promotion. Using each type of businesses’ strengths to its advantage is key in success either online or off.
After twenty years of great success in the small business world, Gerald Hice is considered to be an expert in the brick and mortar field as well as the ever growing and changing internet marketing world.
His greatest joy is knowing that he has helped show hundreds of people how to start a small business in the most effective and efficient way that best suits the needs of the individual(s).
If working from home online is of interest to you there are certain simple small business tips you can use that will be of great benefit! Most internet marketers choose the home environment for developing a business of their own due to the lack of expense and the obvious convenience! However this same environment also offers certain ‘subtle’ obstacles which can have an adverse effect on both your marketing efforts and business growth! To be forewarned is to be forearmed and this is the purpose of our discussion below!
Here are 3 things you’ll need to get ‘straight’ if developing a business and a strong income from the comfort of your home is your goal!
Establishing a secluded, dedicated and organized work space or office is your very first priority! Developing a business will require much of your time and focus and by having a dedicated space/office it will only serve to make your efforts easier! Having a place where all your work related files can be organized and stored simply allow you to focus on your marketing efforts and manage your time better!
You must train yourself and even others to respect the fact that your are working and therefore not available for social activities! Although internet marketers are notorious for being able to maintain ‘flexible’ schedules this doesn’t change the need to stay focused on what they are doing when working! Forget about the television, online chatting, incoming calls or even friends who come visiting! If you got work to do, and trust me you will, you MUST get it done and this can only be accomplished by maintaining a high level of focus!
Maintain Consistent Hours
Determine and maintain the time needed to accomplish your business goals and avoid the temptation to slacken off! Being your own boss comes with many perks but on the other hand it also comes with many responsibilities as well! Although ‘when’ you work is your choice, you must recognize the amount of time you’ll need to reach your daily, weekly and even monthly objectives! An inconsistent effort will only bring you inconsistent results!
The small business tips offered above hopefully serve to get you started off in the right direction when working from home. Developing a business can be tough enough therefore you can’t afford to make things more difficult because of a lack of preparation on your part! Internet marketers for the most part work alone so it’s important they establish certain habits to help increase their productivity! The 3 simple tips discussed above will go a long way in allowing you to get the most out of your own marketing efforts! Always remember however when working from home you MUST maintain the mindset that developing a business requires your investment of both time along with a quality effort! In doing so you stand a much greater chance of succeeding where many fail provided you stay focused and serious about your goals!
Does anyone actually still send mail, not emails but real paper mail? Yes! And it works! Direct mail marketing has a higher response rate than email marketing. Think about it, you’re more likely to get all of the mail from your mailbox on a daily basis then you are to open every email. If you’re anything like me most of your emails get deleted before they’re ever opened. You’re probably thinking how most of the marketing mail from your mailbox is also thrown away before it is ever opened and that’s where I may offer you some help!
First, I want you to consider who you are marketing to. Is it anyone and everyone you could get an address for? How many other people are marketing to those same people? Focus on your target audience. Market to an audience that’s exclusive to you; make sure your records are from a suppressed data source. Our data is suppressed for 6 months! Your list is exclusive to YOU! We won’t sell your list to anyone else which means your name will be the only one they see. Also, consider who exactly you want to target. We can add a multitude of filters to your list that will help to hone in on exactly who would be interested in what you have to offer. For example, a real estate investor is looking to market to an audience of sellers, people who are willing and/or looking to sell their properties. In order to find those people we add filters; how long ago did they purchase the property? Do they still currently live in it? Are they retired or planning to retire soon? Do they have extra properties they may be looking to liquidate? How much equity do they have in the home? How much is it worth? All of these questions are going to help narrow your audience to one that works!
Second thing to consider, what are you mailing? If it’s your typical white envelope, maybe windowed with a generic typed font showing through, with a piece of mail that looks eerily similar to every other piece of junk in your mailbox chances of it going directly to the trash are VERY high. Half the battle is getting your mailer opened. So how do you get people to open it, yet alone read it? How does a hand addressed, invitation sized envelope sound? If you’re thumbing through the mail at the end of the day do you think you’ll open that plain white windowed envelope with Times New Roman font showing your name OR a small invitation sized envelope with a real person’s hand writing? More than likely that envelope that looks personalized as though you may be invited to a party is going to be the first thing you open. You did it! You’ve won half the battle! Now let them read what you have to say.
Is your mailer a long drawn out whole sheet, maybe two sheets, of paper? Trash can. Keep in mind when most people are going through the mail; after a long day at work, maybe they’ve made dinner and done the dishes and they’re wore out. The last thing people want to read is a small font, LONG letter. Keep it short. Say what you need to say in the fewest words possible. Let’s face it once they open the envelope and realize it’s not an invitation to a birthday party they’re probably going to be slightly disappointed and only willing to read a short message. Also, are you going to have that letter on plain white paper with the same generic typed font as every other piece of mail? Trash can. Try a Yellow Letter! Yellow Letters are printed on lined paper like a piece of legal pad paper. We use a variable font, this means each individual letter in the font was written by a real person and then loaded onto our software so every “a” looks a little different than the next. These letters are personalized; remember that list we narrowed down for you? Each letter is addressed to the individual “Dear Jim,” which stands out from any generic mailer. There are also other fields that can be merged, such as their property address if you’re looking to buy their home, their city if you’re marketing to the area, anything that helps to personalize your message helps you stand out. Most importantly you want them to remember your name, and what better way to do so then to personally market to them.
So if you’re considering starting a direct mail marketing campaign, try it! It’s better than sending emails to fill peoples SPAM folder. And keep these things in mind when considering what to do for your next campaign: your audience, hand addressed envelopes, and yellow letters!